Sunday, January 21, 2018

7 - 8/25/2017 - Moab Utah, Canyonlands and Dead Horse National Parks. 100 Miles


Today was a planned day "Off". I had read about the White Rim Trail that runs through Canyonlands. It is a 120-mile loop down into the canyon and along the river. We thought it sounded like fun!
We set out and ended up going to Deadhorse State Parks 1st because I missed the turn! The views there were absolutely incredible! After taking many photos, we back-tracked to the turn I missed and proceeded to Canyonlands State Park. We dropped down into the Shafer Canyon via the Shafer Switchbacks. For me, this was very harrowing due to a fear of heights! Narrow road with 1000 foot drop offs! YIKES! I made sure to hug the side next to the wall of the canyon! Once we got to the bottom of the canyon, it was very hot. We rode about 20 miles of the White Rim trail and decided to turn around. The trail was much rougher than expected, we had left our tools, flat tire repair kits, and extra water back at the campground so it was a prudent decision, wouldn't want to get stuck down there unprepared! Maybe someday, I'll make a trip back solely for the purpose of finishing that trail, but on a proper dirtbike! Once again, I had to overcome my fear of heights by going back UP the Shafer Switchbacks! Once again, I hugged the side of the road next to the canyon wall and went slowly. What a sissy huh? Oh well, didn't want Chris and I to recreate the ending of Thelma & Louise on motorcycles!
All in all, it was a spectacular day of riding, Chris said this place rivals the Grand Canyon in beauty and even better, you can ride/drive into it!
We got back into Moab and had a great dinner at an Italian restaurant, then it was back to the campground where we went and relaxed in the pool and spa.

Video of the day's riding 





 ***NOTE; Clicking on the pictures will open them up in a larger, gallery view.***


The mighty Colorado River



It was a little hot but we're still smiling!

Add caption






Musselman Arch

Walking Rocks














4 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! I'll go ride it with you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the entire video & loved your music choice! Great film, impressive quality of the GoPro footage. The trail looks similar to Tandi-Kishtwar road in the Himalayas. Could you imagine riding it on a Royal Enfield?

    ReplyDelete